TIPS TO PROTECT A PET FROM THEFT
This month is National Lost Pet Prevention month. It has been reported that eery two seconds a pet parent in the US is faced with their worst fear when they suddenly discover that their cat or dog is missing. Statistics sate that more than 10 million companion animals go astray each year, with only 1 in 10 per reuniting with the ones they love. Because of these stats PetHub, Inc. declared July as National Lost Pet Prevention month. Today on our Wellness Wednesday post we are going to give you 5 tips that can help you protect your pet from theft.
1. MICROCHIP YOUR PUP - Collars and tags are great for your pet but they can always be removed if your pet is found. You can rest assure with a permanent ID with a microchip. It's very important to make sure that you keep all of your information current with your microchip recover service providers so you can be contacted if your cat or dog is ever recovered.
2. NEVER LEAVE YOUR DOG OR CAT OUTSIDE UNATTENDED - When your pets are left alone in your yard, especially if it's visible from the street, your pets become easy targets for thieves. Thats why its always a good idea to supervise your cat and dog when they are outside.
3. KEEP YOUR PETS CLOSE - If you take your dog for a walk it's always good to make sure they are on a leash and that you keep them close to you. By following these habits, it can help reduce the chance of them wandering off and possibly catching the attention of thieves.
4. DON'T GIVE OUT TO MUCH INFO - If strangers approach you to admire your pet whether it be while you are out and about or just outside your house, be careful how much information you reveal. Be sure you don't disclose how much your pet cost or other details that include your pet.
5. DON'T TIE YOUR DOG OUTSIDE OF AN ESTABLISHMENT - If you are out running errands, don't tie your dog up outside while you run in to run your errand. Leaving your dog unsupervised is an invitation for a pet thief. Only bring your pet if you know you are going to a pet friendly place of business. Otherwise, it's bets to leave them at home.
By following these 5 tips you can know that you are putting your best foot forward in assuring that you are protecting your pet from theft. We hope to bring awareness to National Lost Pet Prevention month and help inform pet parents by giving these 5 tips. If you are in need of a new collar or leash be sure to stop by any of our Slobberbones locations to check out our great selection. Mention you read this blog and receive 10% off your purchase of a collar or leash. Offer valid July 11th-July18th.
American Kennel Club - Tribune News Service